No Idea Records
No Idea Records NIR-351
Released: November 6, 2015
• Comes on your choice of 150-Gram Translucent BLUE, or Opaque BLUE, or Translucent GREEN vinyl! If you have a color preference, just mention it in the "notes" when you order. Order three copies and we will send all three.
• 12" / DOWNLOAD: 320 kbps (a link will be emailed to you!)
• NEVER try to download straight to your phone, tablet, or any other non-computer device: you must download to a computer, then transfer.
• LISTEN TO A SONG AT STEREOGUM: http://www.stereogum.com
• LISTEN TO A SONG AT VICE: http://noisey.vice.com
"There’s nothing soothing about the music of the Massachusetts shoegaze band Kindling. Kindling don’t use their waves of guitar effects to beautify their songs; instead, they drag them through mud. There’s a lot of fuzz on this band’s guitars, and it’s always punishing, never uplifting. Still, Kindling bring some seriously pretty melodies and vocal harmonies in with all that ugliness." —STEREOGUM
"KINDLING began in early 2014 in a spare room of an Easthampton, MA house when Stephen Pierce asked Gretchen Williams to contribute to a throwaway fuzz pop song that he had written and recorded over the preceding hour. The next day, they did the same thing, and then again the day after that. After about a week and a half, they had completed the "Spare Room" demo and set to work on a debut 7". Instead of spontaneous compositions, though, the duo took their time and worked considerably harder on the four songs that comprise the "Spike & Wave" EP. Inspired by the kindness shown by the people who managed to hear the 7", a full band was assembled, bringing in drummer Andy Skelly - who has played with Stephen in DIY punk mainstays AMPERE for over a decade - and bassist Andrew Farr. Having blossomed from their modest indiepop beginnings, KINDLING as a full band embodies equal parts delicate beauty and crushing heaviness, awash in a sea of fuzz, reverb, and volume."
Stephen Pierce — Guitar / Vocals
Gretchen Williams — Guitar / Vocals
Andy Skelly — Drums
Andrew Farr — Bass
1. Blinding Wave
2. While Away